Nellie Pederson Civic Library

Loading palette preview Loading

Library History

Sixty-four years of service to Clifton-area residents.

The Nellie Pederson Civic Library was founded by the Clifton Civic Improvement Society in 1952 and was named The Clifton Centennial Library.  The women of the Civic Society soon renamed their project for Nellie Partlow Pederson, long-time treasurer of the organization and much-loved member of the community.  The library was first housed in the basement of the old Clifton City Hall, later in a small room in the current Clifton Civic Center.                           

In 1999 the Clifton Civic Improvement Society began plans to build a new library, with a grant from the Clifton Economic Development Corporation for $42,000 and the donation of a lot owned by the city across the rear parking lot from the Civic Center.  Money was raised in the community to erect a steel building faced with stone.  Financial grants were used to furnish the building and, later, to supply the facility with computers and networking equipment.

The City of Clifton now operates and manages the library.  Additional input is provided by a Library Advisory Board, whose members include representatives of the City, the Society, and local residents.